Sunday, September 9, 2007

One of my Housemates!

I would like to introduce you to Toby. I am totally new to cat ownership. At the advice of well meaning friends I started from scratch with a new kitten. It has been a learning experience beyond compare. He works real hard on a daily basis to teach me how its going to be! No one warned me that having a cat member in the house was like having a toddler going through their terrible twos forever!LOL! This photo shows my latest battle that has been going on for the past month. You see his mouth is open, I assure you there are nasty sounds coming out! Every time I walk into the kitchen this is my first sight.(In fact he has knocked me on my hiney several times in his haste to assume this position) After going thru six different brands of dry kitty food to find one that fit his taste, my well meaning daughter brought me some free samples of fancy canned cat food. What a mistake that turned out to be! He loves it! In fact that is all he wants to eat. However I refuse to spend more on my cats daily diet than I do on my own so I only allow him to have one can a day, the rest of the time he is only offered dry food. Its an understatement to say this makes Toby an unhappy cat. Last weekend I decided to take the vets advice and take away his canned food altogether, the wise vet advised that no animal will starve themselves to death. Well I began to doubt the vets wisdom when 72 hours into it, Toby was not only refusing to eat the dry food but would not touch his water either. He was laying around looking like he was at deaths door, the only sign of life an occaisional squeaky meow that sounded so painful. I was on the verge of calling the night emergency number for the vet when I decided to just see.....Sure enough I popped the top on that can of food and instant life in the cat! He won that one!LOL! But I am sticking to the one can rule. I hope.......

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They will not starve themselves to death. Really. It seems like it. Some kids will hold their breath to get what they want, if it works. Most kids cannot hold it long enough to pass out. Those that can start breathing again when the are unconscious.
My cat Mary Shelley got tuna one day when we were out of food. The next day, she got cat food again. First she buried the food with the kitchen floor, then she bit me in the foot. She has never had tuna since.

Unknown said...

Deb,
Toby Is a handsome puss!!!! My cat midnight actually carried a brown bag from Carls Jr home down the side walk, over the fence and to the patio yesterday, I laughed at the thought of passer-bys seeing him carrying it.HMMM? Brown baggin' it today! This was my gift from him. Funny huh?
Many hugs,
Jackie

BerryPatch said...

That is funny, needed a pic of that!

Anonymous said...

Your Toby is so funny! What a guy. Hey..you should be a writer.

I loved this story so much and I had to send it to all of my cat loving relatives. Thanks! Mickey